Community Forums

Life is precious

8 replies
[CP] Gazoo SECURITY
Chief Pilot
LEVEL 8
Heya all

I'm sure most of you aren't aware of the grave condition my stepson has fallen into a week ago, and thought I'd share a short story of what we (my wife, family and I) have been going through these past eight long days.
Our son has been going to university for the past four years and has been doing so well (really really well), that he was offered a semester in England. He accepted the offer and flew over to England five weeks prior to do a tour of Europe with his two good friends. Together they went to Portugal, Germany, Italy, Czech Republic, Spain, Scotland, and five or six other countries that I can't remember at the moment. He then got back to England and started his semester. He then flew back to Canada (where we live) to apply for a great job position with one of our major banks and got it (1300 other applicants)! He then flew back to England to finish off his semester. Shortly afterwards he complained to his friends that he had a bad headache and eventually started to see double. His friends took him to the hospital where he was diagnosed with meningitis (swelling of the membrane that encompasses the brain) and a couple of days later, with bilateral pneumonia.
Two days later, we received a phone call that said we should make arrangements to fly over as soon as possible.
Our son had been in critical condition and on life support since then and had us by his side as soon as we arrived.
Since then, we have had bad news and good news, followed by bad news, over and over and over as the days went on, bringing my family and I to our breaking point more times than you could imagine.
Two days ago, they removed him from life support as his condition got better.
Today has been the first day that he could actually speak more than three words at a time and the nurse telling us she could actually hear his Canadian accent.

Today has been such a good day, I could actually leave the hospital without worry of him passing.

I went to a pub (roughly 5min walk) and ordered a victory drink to celebrate how far our sleeping tiger has come, but still await a visit fom the neurologist and an MRI scan to try to understand what damage has been done.

The whole point of this post is to ask you all to include our boy Matt in your prayers or to raise a glass for a speedy recovery and to remind you all how quickly the tides can change the life of our loved ones. Give your loved ones a hug today and remember how precocious each day is with them because you never know what may happen tomorrow.

Thanks and best wishes to everyone.

Chris.
Posted Dec 3, 17 · OP
Manager
LEVEL 8
Howdy, Gazoo. Of course I will include him in my prayers, and I also cross my fingers for your son.

By the way, as tough as things sound initially - with competent medical treatment your son will recover soon. I know a guy in my family with pretty much the same story, including twelve days of artificial coma, who recovered that well that he also returned to professional athletics one year after the tragedy. So heads up for you and your family. And all my prayers to your son.
Okay, let us go... Oh wait, I have quite an interesting electromagnetic signature here on the scanners. It would be worth to be checked out.
Posted Dec 4, 17
upvote! +1
List
Undo
[CP] Gazoo SECURITY
Chief Pilot
LEVEL 8
That's very reassuring. Thanks for that Stardust!
He is visibly improving every day and his doctor says quite quickly compared to what he has seen in the past. I've been more and more hopeful with every new day.
Today his neurologist comes back and lets us know the results of the two last MRI scans. Plus, they took another lumbar puncture sample today to determine whether or not he has any white blood cells there (there should be none if the meningitis or whatever it is, is gone).They still have yet to determine 100% that it actually was meningitis but are using that as their working diagnosis.

Again, thanks!
Posted Dec 7, 17 · OP · Last edited Dec 7, 17
Chief Pilot
LEVEL 4
I am so happy your son is doing better Gazoo, what a trooper. This us such a rough deal not only for him, but for your whole family. I hope the doctors are able to bring more good news today and that your son makes a quick and full recovery :-)
Posted Dec 10, 17
upvote! +1
List
Undo
Manager
LEVEL 3
When you posted that your son was sick, my heart sank and I prayed every day for him and your family. That is great news that your son is doing better and that he is recovering.

with you son and family in my prayers,
ewokivaders
Posted Tue at 02:28 am
upvote! +1
List
Undo
Manager
LEVEL 8
Howdy Gazy, I hope you and your family are fine again. Anyway, we all cross our fingers, so you can head back with your son to the USA. Tell your son also the best from my family and me.

Greets
Nick
aka
Thorsten
Okay, let us go... Oh wait, I have quite an interesting electromagnetic signature here on the scanners. It would be worth to be checked out.
Posted Tue at 06:12 am
[CP] Gazoo SECURITY
Chief Pilot
LEVEL 8
Hell, I hope the plane doesn't take us to the USA lol.. I really want us to get back to Canada, thanks. :)

Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers.

Quick update..
Blood samples were sent off to some top secret biochemical warfare place here in England and finally came back with a positive for Rickettsia, a form of Typhus. The hospital still believes that Meningitis as well as bilateral pneumonia was a factor but still haven't been able to regrow a sample from the lumbar puncture fluid.
Dizziness, double vision and speech impairment remains as well as balance issues when walking (dizziness being the culprit perhaps), but with time we are sure he'll come out of all this just fine.

Thanks again guys
Posted Tue at 07:58 am · OP
upvote! +1
List
Undo
[MGR] Nizari SECURITY
Manager
LEVEL 3
I am sure he will pull through. I am sorry you have to deal with all this, some bad luck there. An intercontinental flight? You are great parents.
God bless.
Posted Tue at 08:02 pm
upvote! +1
List
Undo
[CP] Gazoo SECURITY
Chief Pilot
LEVEL 8
We fly home this Tuesday!

Our boy has been deemed "safe to travel", though there is still a road ahead . How long that road to recovery is, will be seen when it happens, day by day. Our hopes as well as our boy's are very high.

Can't wait to get him home. It will be good to have his family and friends closer to help provide the extra support he needs.
Posted 7 hours ago · OP · Last edited 7 hours ago

Intergalactic Airlinesâ„  is a registered service mark with the Transport Safety Board (TSB). Networking Your Galaxy® is a registered trademark. Intergalactic Airlines Corporate Headquarters, Phoenix Road, Prime, Terra. For more information, please contact your local IGAIR Service Representative. All rights reserved.

Login or Register
Online users (0)
No users online.
Latest users
[NoTags] Briech
joined Dec 3, 17
[NoTags] Meen
joined Dec 3, 17
[TEC] Chance Buckman
joined Nov 27, 17
Today: 14 Unique Hits: 58,859
Website Group Pay